A little fitness background + The After Work Energizer + Recipes from Lea Michele


Hi everyone! A couple of things...

First off, I want to thank everyone for all of the support for my blog and my first post! As I mentioned, putting yourself out there online for the whole world to see can be scary. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life who always stand behind me and help me achieve things that make me happy!

Second, since today will be my first fitness post, I wanted to give you all a background about me + fitness...


After completing a half marathon down at school a few years ago!


Me after the 2013 Chicago Marathon! Wee!

Fitness (um, running) has played such a huge part in my life and has brought me through a bunch of rough spots (more on all of that later). HOWEVER... I am not one of those people who is a die hard gym freak. I loveee going to the gym but you definitely won't see me doing an intense hour in there every day. I don't let going to the gym or "eating clean" take over my life. In fact, when I see those "eat clean every dayyyyy" people on Instagram I want to throw my iPhone out the window. Some of you may not agree with me, but I don't think that is entirely realistic. Instead, I like substituting healthy foods in certain meals and eating foods that are good for me and make me happy. I may have egg whites and kale for breakfast but then have a short stack of chocolate chip pancakes at work (oops). It really is all about balance. But it is true that I feel better when I eat healthier!

I mentioned that I have ran two Chicago Marathons, back to back in 2013 and 2014. 26.2 miles (plus all of the extra training miles) can be really tough on your body. I was actually injured last year during my second one and decided to take a huge running break for months. Not that I didn't still love it, but my body was burned out and needed a break.

Now, I run a couple times a week. Four to six miles are now my "long runs". If I'm completely honest, this summer has been a little bit of a struggle for me seeing my body change as a result of not running as much as before. Before, I was running five out of seven days during the week racking up huge miles. I was constantly moving, constantly working out. This summer I work all day five out of the seven days, and then I come home and I'm tired.

I want to work out and need to because it always helps my mood, but laying on the couch and watching The Bachelorette is even more tempting. So that's been a little rough. But one of my favorite quotes is "loving your body only when it's in the right shape is loving your kids only when they are well behaved". LOL because I obviously don't have any kids, but that quote helps me a lot because it has taught me how unrealistic it is for your body to look perfect all the time. Heck, when I come home from work, I feel bloated and tired and just blah, even when I've eaten healthy all day. I've struggled with body image for quite a while in my life and I don't want to feel sad or upset about how I look anymore. Sooo, maybe we can start this body positive journey all together :)


Me after finishing third place in my age group at a half marathon in Chicago in March 2014. I was so excited! 

Today's workout is inspired by work. No really, I'm not kidding. During work today, I couldn't stop thinking about how I wanted to create a little workout to help people feel more energized right when they get home, because I for one feel so blah and lazy. Hopefully doing this quick workout will help you all feel a little better instead of reaching for that Starbucks Frappe! ;) 

*Please note that I am NOT health and fitness professional. Please consult your health care provider before starting any fitness program.*

"The After Work Energizer": A short workout designed to help you feel more awake after work and get your heart pumping! Instructions for afterward? Binge watch The Bachelorette! 


1. After work stretch
  • My favorite move that I learned at a yoga class!
  • With feet shoulder width apart, take either your left or right hand (doesn't matter) and slowly push the back of your head down to get a good stretch in your neck to help ease any tension from work. 






2. Run a mile around your neighborhood to get your heart rate up!
  • I like to use the Nike + Running app on my iPhone to track my miles. I also have a Garmin watch which I used to use when I was in training.
  • Run at any pace you feel comfortable with!
  • Remember basic form: abs tight, shoulders back, eyes up


2. 25 sit-ups 
  • I do these with my legs straight, but you can have your knees in table top position, bent or in any way that feels most comfortable!


Why am I at the very end of my mat in these? Oops! 


3. Jump rope- 60 jumps


4. 30 second plank
  • If this is a little hard to do on your elbows, you can do the modified raised version!


Here is the modified version!

5. 60 jumps again with the jump rope!


6. 40 mountain climbers!


After my workout I saw that my mom was making the "Italian Comfort Soup" from Lea Michele's book Brunette Ambition. I would recommend this book to anybody interested in health and wellness! She talks about her life as well as offer health and beauty tricks! I love the recipes in the book. They are so healthy and make you feel good! I can't wait to have the soup tonight!






Hey, mom! You're on my blog!

Thanks for reading, everyone! I hope you enjoyed my workout and have a great rest of your day :)

                                                            XO, 

                                                                       Grace Elle 


LOL @ my face! "I need chocolate and TV!"


                                                                     





No comments :

Post a Comment