Internship Outfit Ideas and Tips

Good morning, everyone! Here I am finding the inspiration to type up this blog -on my phone- at 6:50 a.m. on my morning train. Whew! As those of you who are my Facebook (and Instagram, and Snapchat, and Twitter, and...) friends know, I have a social media internship with a tech/web development agency in their Chicago office. I starred virtual work in late April and started in office on May 9th. The commute can get a bit long and the 5:30 wake up time isn't my exact cup of tea, but I am learning a lot so far, especially about the right kinda of clothes for traveling to the city and sitting in the office all day.

You all know that I have mentioned dressing up makes me feel more confident and prepared, and that is no exception when it is time for my internship. Let me walk you through a typical outfit you will usually find me wearing ambling my way around the city:

1. HIGH WAISTED WORK PANTS. I write this in all caps because these are a must. My office has a casual dress code and employees usually just wear whatever they are comfortable with. And yes, that includes jeans. I have worn jeans in the office a few days for work, just because they went along with the rest of the outfit I was wearing that day and were dark in color. But even if your office has a relaxed dress code, I would not recommended working in jeans, just because *ugh, the pinch* and because I feel more professional wearing dressier pants. I have a pair of black pants from Banana Republic, and a blue, polka-dot, and striped (shown in photos) pair from Gap. These pants are great because not only do they look more professional and have more fun patterns you can work with, but because hello high waist! So comfortable for whatever form of public transportation you take as well as sitting in the office all day.

2. Top of choice + sweater or cardigan: I base what top I am wearing on any given day on the pants I decide to wear, but regardless of if it is cold or hot out, I always bring a cardigan or a sweater with me to work (shown in photos). I don't know about you, but my office is C-O-L-D. Having something extra doesn't hurt, and if you walk in one day and the office is surprisingly warm, you can always take it off.

3. Comfortable, sturdy footwear: I usually opt for the shoes I am wearing in the photos, black with a very low heel. These shoes look and feel professional, and despite the heel, I am able to walk comfortably in them. The shoe is the icing on top of the outfit cake- it can make or break. Make sure it is comfortable and doesn't pop off of your feet or cause blisters when you walk (my flats are guilty of doing this in the middle of busy train station walks- not fun).

4. A watch and statement necklace: Simple accessories can add a fun pop of color. For example, my statement necklace brings a bit more to the outfit I am wearing. I also wear a watch because it helps me look and feel a bit more professional. It's nice to have something fun to look down to on your wrist.





I usually have the same exact makeup routine each day. On my lips is something usually Baby Lips related, whether the regular lip balm, gloss, or a combination of both. Hair changes each day as well. Some days I don't have enough to style my hair and I'm walking out the door with it flat (the worst feeling), but some days I curl it the night before so I have some texture in the morning. The glasses are usually to cover up those 5 a.m. under eye bags ;) Here's one other tip- for some reason, my skin feels and looks extremely oily at work, so I purchased a few packets of Walgreens oil blotting sheets. They are perfect to use discreetly in the office bathroom if you feel some major shine going on.

P.S. How is everyone doing on the no skin picking challenge? I've had my fair share of flare ups, but
since I haven't been picking, my entire skin tone looks more even. It feels good to break a habit! My current goal is to get rid of some of the acne scars I currently have. Does anyone have some tips for that or products that have worked for them? I would love to know!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday and have enjoyed these tips- the goal is to wear something that will make you look and feel like an utter badass at work. Because you got this!! We will talk soon!


XOX, Grace


No comments :

Post a Comment